Friday, January 30, 2009

A Blog for a Novel Published Entirely on Twitter

I admit -- this is one of my sillier ideas.

Who writes and publishes a novel 140 characters at a time?

Actually, if you google "Twitter Novel", you'll find a few who've already done so or are doing it right now.

So this effort is not about being first. And it's not about trying to get into the Guinness Book with something like the "longest novel" ever published on Twitter.

No -- this is about the creative challenge of trying to be interesting and engaging and telling a story under a significant constraint. Plus, after years of preaching "compression" to copywriters in my ad agency, it's time to see if I can practice what I preach.

To see the novel one epitweet (I made up this word) at a time, you need to have a twitter account and follow @secretlifehamel. The opening of the novel will be published on February 5.

For people (will there be any?) who get behind and want to catch up, I will republish all epitweets on this blog, weekly. Most of the time this will be on a Wednesday.

I will also publish a synopsis of the novel -- a chapter at a time -- so that someone who does not want to read all the past tweets can get up to speed in a couple of minutes.

Okay -- let's see what happens.

PS I have only written the first scenes of this novel and will definitely be making it up as I go along . . . who knows where it will go?

1 comment:

  1. Great concept Mike...

    Will surely be following you on Twitter, and here too!

    ReplyDelete